photo home_zps6d4f0910.jpg photo home_zps6d4f0910.jpg photo preproduction_zps0aed42bb.jpg photo production_zps13a97b4d.jpg photo postproduction_zpsdab6d7fd.jpg photo theshort_zps5df2e33b.jpg photo videologs_zps4d0feed2.jpg photo contact_zps45cb7eba.jpg

Sunday 6 October 2013

Video Logs: The Polydoodle Chest

Hello Everyone,

Nice to see that I'm setting the trend of being the "first post" in each section this far. Still that will probably change the closer we get to filling the production and post-production labels ha-ha. Anyway the video logs are largely to show the behind the scenes of "& Son" and thus "Polydoodle Pictures". For the sake of the 365 day project I named these videos "The Doodler" because it just sounded cool. Throughout the minor and major projects over the next year I will be documenting discussions within Polydoodle Pictures. I will document anything and everything that I can.

The goal of this is to give myself and my fellow creative colleagues a little window into the past. To see other videos from the 365 Day Project please visit the website: www.365dp.co.uk if you haven't already. I will be dividing my attention between 3 blogs but Polydoodle Pictures will be the blog I do the bulk of my crazy ramblings. In most cases these videos will have a small introduction from me before jumping into the action of the video. If it seems to be dull don't worry I'm sure it will pick up as long as you tough it out. It is not my goal to just Entertain but also to Educate with these videos.

Anyway lets get down to the discussion of The Polydoodle Chest.


The video above shows the very first "Doodler" video of my business partner Ross Castle May burning the "Polydoodle" logo into a box that I purchased from Amazon. Over the course of about 2 hours the box was complete. The video is speeded up in certain portions because I figured people would just want to see the action not so much at its normal pace. I even knocked up the animated logo for the doodler which I had quite a bit of fun making yesterday ha-ha. I wasn't even going to make this video but after sorting out the logo I thought "what the hell...
The image above shows the logo that I gave to Rosslehoff to burn into the box. He started by using a sharp implement to stab holes into the box and thus tracing the design through a dot to dot configuration. He then used Pencil to join up the dots and make the lettering on the box. From there the next step was to burn the letters into the box using his wood burning tool. It was actually quite a cool experience to see the end result. I still have it here and the box will house an abundance of Polydoodle merchandise... no more spoilers your gonna have to wait!


The image above shows a still of what the books like now. Still as good as the day it was made, we are gonna have to be careful with the front. I was even going to paint the box but the ladies said they liked it with a simple wood finish. Having looked at it a bit more I think they may be right, we don't want to overdo the design. I may still talk to Ross about putting a couple of designs into the top maybe. He said it would be cool if there were caricatures of us on the top. I thought that could be a way to go but at this point I'm just not sure... Maybe down the line...


Last but not least I thought I would conclude by introducing my infamous business partner Ross Castle May. Forgive the photograph I simply couldn't resist putting it up. The man is a master so I give him his credit where it is due (but not too much). He is a former Antique Restorator and is a traditional artist in multiple mediums. He loves sculpting nowadays especially in ZBrush (gave me lots of pointers when I was learning). Usually at this point I'd drop a website but he is oblivious to the online realm. You could always hit him up on Facebook if you wanted ha-ha....

I will be using Ross for a couple of little "extra" things that I have pugged away in the future for the masses to ogle. I will post about that when I have a little more to show but for now I thought I would get this post out there. I will have to bring him into the University one day and introduce him to everyone, he's a great dood and he loves anything creative. I talk to him about the people at University and have showed him your work so he is proper excited to meet you guys at UCA soon. I will just have to run it by the powers that be. Anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment